- Oakland, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We love the high ceilings, big windows, and old creaky wood floors. These elements help make our small space feel open, warm and inviting, which is important because there are two of us living here! The high ceilings allow us to have a lofted sleeping area (which was here when we moved in) that gives us the room to have a multi-functional living/dining/work space in the main area. We have a drafting table, sectional sofa, and full sized dining table in our studio apartment! Sometimes I still can't believe what we are able to fit in here. I also love all the direct sun and natural light we get because it gives me the opportunity to spread my plant collection throughout the entire apartment.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Plan ahead to create a balanced home. When you live in a small place, balance is very important. You want to avoid having one thing dominate the entire space. Measure your area, then measure any piece of furniture to make sure it is the appropriate fit before you take it home. Measure twice, buy once!
2. Be selective with your items and only keep what you really love. We are far from minimalists. We love stuff and don't think there's anything wrong with that. A studio apartment can feel very crowded with this attitude, but if you only keep the things you absolutely need or love, you can keep a home that is filled with your favorite things but doesn't feel overcrowded.
3. Give everything a place and stick with it. As any other couple who lives in a small space together knows, things can get messy. We try to keep our place clean and uncluttered by allowing ourselves to display all the things we love, but give them specific places where they can live.